[c-nsp] IPv6 p2p transit link addressing

cisconsp at SecureObscure.com cisconsp at SecureObscure.com
Sun Oct 3 19:20:17 EDT 2010

I have been working through a timeless topic: p2p transit link addressing.

After reading http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcmarkup/rfcmarkup.cgi?rfc=3627
and http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04 as well a
networkers presentation, various blogs, etc. I thought it was time to
consult people who might actually be dealing with this in production today
in hopes that I can learn from any potential mistakes.

Can I simply avoid the problem of p2p links altogether with unnumbered from
an ipv6 loopback address?
I fear that link local addressing will ruin traceroute information.

Any definitive answers would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer not to
burn up all of my routable address space with p2p /64's however.

Thanks for your time,

John