[c-nsp] doubt on Mpps

Per Carlson pelle at hemmop.com
Sun Oct 10 02:46:34 EDT 2010

A networking device handles packets. That indirectly mean they are
performance wise bound by the number of packets per second it manages to
handle. For example the IP routing task within a router takes the same
amount of time regardless the packet size.

When calculating how many Mbps a device manages to forward *under all
circumstances*, take the pps number and multiply it with 512 (64 byte * 8
bits/byte) and you will have the bps number. Of course can you do the math
the other way around as Mikael writes.

--
Pelle
(sorry about the top-posting, I'm  on a mobile device)