[c-nsp] Rapid Per-VLAN Spanning Tree and Third Party

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Oct 27 07:12:40 EDT 2010

On 27/10/2010 08:25, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 10/27/2010 07:56 AM, Robert Hass wrote:
>> Hi
>> Is any other vendor than Cisco (eg. Force10, Brocade/Foundry, Extreme)
>> supports Rapid Per-VLAN Spanning Tree on their switches ?
>
> Yes. We use both Extreme and Foundry in Rapid-PVST mode, interacting
> with Ciscos.

On foundry, there's one gotcha: L2 point to point links are not
automatically detected, so you need to manually configure "spanning-tree
802-1w admin-pt2pt-mac" on a point to point link.  Otherwise you will end
up with 802.1d STP on that link.

Cisco "detects" point to point links by assuming that a half-duplex link is
terminated in a hub (and by extension is not a point to point link), but
that a full duplex link must be terminated in a switch.

But it works fine with Foundry-Brocade kit.

Nick