[c-nsp] 12810 oddness for halloween =)

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Sat Oct 30 12:57:01 EDT 2010

So,

Oct 30 11:29:55 EDT: %MBUS-6-FABANALYZED: Switch card in slot 17 analyzed
Oct 30 11:29:55 EDT: %MBUS-6-FABCONFIG: Switch Cards 0x7F (bitmask)
Primary Clock is CSC_0
Fabric Clock is Redundant
Bandwidth Mode : 40Gbps Bandwidth
Oct 30 11:29:55 EDT: %FABRIC-3-ERR_HANDLE: Force CSC switchover on error FIA HALT from slot 8
Oct 30 11:29:55 EDT: %FABRIC-3-ERR_HANDLE: Primary CSC switched over to slot 16

Didn't look like it was traffic impacting, and that is great news!

The not so great news is, after this happened if I send SNMP requests to the router:

[root at d3 ~]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ifstatus -C comm -H lo0.ip.add.ress
ERROR: No snmp response from lo0.ip.add.ress (alarm timeout)

[root at d3 ~]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ifstatus -C comm -H other.interface.ip.address
OK: host 'other.interface.ip.address', interfaces up: 7, down: 0, dormant: 0, excluded: 0, unused: 0 |up=7,down=0,dormant=0,excluded=0,unused=0

The SNMP requests to the lo0 ip address don't always time out but if they do work they are always about 10 seconds slower than the ones to the normal interfaces.

Prior to this CSC switchover, this nagios plugin and everything worked fine.

My concern is not so much that I can't send SNMP requests to the loopback IP on the router, but what other traffic could be similarly impacted in it's current state.

I'm running ver: 12.0(33)S5 which isn't super old but should be stable.

Has anyone seen anything like this before or am I "just lucky?"

-Drew