[c-nsp] rancid and inventory with "^"

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Sep 7 16:35:26 EDT 2010

Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 09:39:00AM +0100, Alexander Clouter:
> >   !NAME: "temperature outlet 9 ", DESCR: "module 9 outlet temperature Sensor"
> >   !NAME: "temperature inlet 9 ",  DESCR: "module 9 inlet temperature Sensor"
> > + !NAME: "temperature device-1 9 ", DESCR: "module 9 device-1 temperature Sensor"
> > + !NAME: "temperature device-2 9 ", DESCR: "module 9 device-2 temperature Sensor"
> >   !opv1^T^LB

fwiw, this would strike me a either failing hardware (SMbuss or sensor)
or a s/w bug thats reading outside of device ID buffer range or an
improperly flashed device ID.  if it flaps, its probably not the latter.

it could also be a s/w bug that is just writing junk to the tty when this
command is run.  you can speculate based upon the bahavior.

> Anyway, there was a thread here that kicked this off into life:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=cisco-nsp&m=126780984709176&w=2

and that could be the s/w just not being patient enough for those devices.
if the command returns an error when it fails to reach devices it knows to
exist, then rancid can be altered to fail and retry.