[c-nsp] ASIC to switch port mapping

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Sun Sep 12 13:05:12 EDT 2010

(I assume the response was to this or similar)

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 08:26 -0400, Chris Evans wrote:
> They are closet switches. If you need bigger buffers get a platform
> meant for heavier use such as the 4948.

We've heard Cisco use that argument, and it's hilarious. The problem is
_also_ there in the closets. Even end user PCs actually need bandwidth.

We currently use 3750 and 3560E models in our datacenters, based on a
recommendation from the (AFAIK) largest gold partner in our country.
When whining about the buffer problem, everybody says "Nexus 5k" and a
few say 4948.

Seriously: Is it okay for Cisco to sell handicapped "closet" switches?
It's not like they're cheap compared to others vendors or previous
comparable Cisco switches (3550/2950/2970).

--
Peter