[c-nsp] Feedback on upcoming removal of FTP access to secured software

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Sep 14 20:58:05 EDT 2010

See below

Sent from my iThing

On Sep 14, 2010, at 5:02 PM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 02:36:07PM +0100, David Freedman wrote:
>> As much as I disagree with the decision, I can understand that they may
>> have a complex set of processes and audit requirements behind this (the
>> site), i.e having users click "I Agree" before every download (and not
>> making this implicit through downloading which I find odd)
>
> Register on the web site, klick on "I'm not a terrorist!", enable FTP
> access for <x> days.  I could implement this on a rainy afternoon.
>
> But since *they* never managed to make their FTP service actually *work*
> for active and passive FTP (as in "if the server doesn't want a given
> variant, just say so, instead of wrecking the whole session"), this might
> be too much rocket science for them...

I've had conference calls with various parts of the cco team. They are all responsible for their own realm and unable to grok the sp environments. I mostly blame the channel model, but also the lack of engagement from this community as well.(there are a *lot* of people that run tftp32 on their desktop to stage images, or just plug into the newfangled USB ports vs actually remotely managing devices. This paradigm is lost on a lot of product managers. I am asked "console over USB ok?" far too much. Once I ask for the USB console server to go with it, they realize rs232 isn't dead yet).

We worked together when the java download system was fatefully launched, maybe we need to cabal against them on this as well since they seem less than clued about the sp needs. I surely don't want to be stuck only being able to stage a 250mb+ image from a home or hotel network.

I may be able to lead the cabal if folks so desire, rounding up the right people from the cisco side.

-Jared