[c-nsp] General switching question regarding load balancing host

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Fri Sep 17 12:00:41 EDT 2010

In my experience, you need to be VERY careful about the topology, as
we've been bitten by this before. A server was set to load-balancing
like that, and every other packet was causing the MAC to get re-learned
by the switches off the other port.

Now normally it wasn't causing problems, but in this case when the
traffic level got high enough that the MAC was flapping fast enough that
we'd catch edge-cases where a packet comes in one port, and by the time
the packet would get to forwarding that packet out, the MAC would have
been learned along the port it just came in on. The switch was
recognizing this and dropping the packet. So we'd see random packet loss
to that device.

Dropped it back to just 1 NIC (or 2 NICs off the same switch) and we
were fine.

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
Exempla Healthcare