[c-nsp] How to bring one link down if another related link goes down

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Sep 28 01:35:36 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 05:12:40PM -0600, John Neiberger wrote:
> Is there some way to utilize some sort of object tracking to force one
> link to go down if its partner goes down? Alternatively, the link
> itself does not need to go down. The traffic we're dealing with here
> is statically routed, so it would suffice for the static routes to be
> removed from the routing table unless both links were up.

It should be possible.  You can have the routers ping the interface
address of the remote for both links and you can tie static route
to the result of the ping...

I haven't tested how to setup a track object for two remote IP addresses,
so that might pose a problem.

This should give you an idea what can be done:

  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

(even if the URL says 12_3, it applies to SXH and SR* as well)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de