[c-nsp] Questions Regarding Cisco 3750 switches

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Mon Apr 4 12:52:08 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am looking for a top of rack switch for a little project and the 3750 has caught my eye.. I had a few odd questions about it however.

First, can you enable auto-negotiate on the 10/100/1000 ports that will only allow the host to negotiate 10/100 unless you want them to negotiate 10/100/1000?

I believe there is a command in some 10/100/1000 switches that limits the maximum negotiation speed to 100Mbps or 10Mbps without having to set the speed/duplex manually.

Second, is there any way with a switch like this to alter the port number?

instead of GigabitEthernet0/1 it would be GigabitEthernet1/1? I know this seems trivial but some custom written software for whatever reason starts counting at 1/1 and goes to 1/48 (probably because it was made for 6500s)

thanks,
-Drew