[c-nsp] disabling GigE negotiation on NX-OS

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Apr 16 04:36:34 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 02:24:00AM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Fibre gigE can either do autoneg or not. Disabling it is usually a
> mistake (but gert is clueful enough to know what he's doing). It's
> enabled by default on every platform I've ever dealt with.

Yeah, and that's definitely a sane default.

Nevertheless, I've been bitten by this in the past ("move working fiber
link to new device, link doesn't come up, swap cables and ports and
everything, and then finally remember to try 'set port negotiation disable'
and voila, link!").  So you can't always assume that the other side is
sane :-)

Telco devices - at least over here - have a habit of having autoneg
turned off, and that would explain what we're seeing.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de