[c-nsp] Cases to lock a switch -- physical layer protection?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Apr 20 16:01:01 EDT 2011

On 4/19/11 6:22 AM, Furnish, Trever G wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a particularly sensitive scenario where I need to allow access to
> other hardware within a rack but ensure that no one is able to
> physically modify connections to the top-of-rack switch and ASA.  I
> would love to find an in-rack-mountable case to go around the Cisco
> gear, in the same way that telco's commonly protect smartjack shelves.

The most common telco smartjack enclosure I've seen Verizon use here is
the type that holds four cards.  It has a plexiglas door with an Ace
style lock on the top.

And there are two Phillips screws on the bottom of the door for those
who don't have the key.

> Can anyone recommend such a case or similar protective measure?

If you have something custom made, use Medeco locks, welded
construction, and ensure that the mounting hardware is protected by the
locking mechanism.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net