[c-nsp] Are "line protocol" and LIT the same?

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:11:58 EDT 2011

When Cisco switch or router port is "connected", it has status "line
protocol is up". As far as I know, this applies to all interface
types(10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T, 1000BASE-LX10, 1000BASE-SX etc
with different transceivers).
What is this "line protocol"? I always thought "line protocol" is up
once any electrical pulses are detected by Rx. Or is "line protocol"
strictly "link integrity test"(LIT) pulses(100-200ns of electrical
pulses with 16ms+/-8ms interval)? Any clarification would be much
appreciated.

regards,
martin