[c-nsp] hardware fault on sup720.

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 05:58:12 EDT 2011

On 04/28/2011 07:50 PM, Greg Whynott wrote:
> hello,
>
> a confidence building question…
>

> we have a sup720 in a 6500 which has developed a 'minor fault'.   The unit is up and still forwarding but Cisco recommends we replace the module asap.   I have a second sup720 (verbatim).   There is only one SUP in the chassis at this time.
>
> my plan is to insert the new 720,  sync the config then fail the primary and pull it out.
>
> seem sane?  how long does the fail over process take?

"It depends. Anywhere from 0 to 90 seconds."

If you configure SSO, the failover takes virtually no time. But adjacent
routers need to be NSF-aware, and you need to have configured NSF,
otherwise it's just a normal routing outage and will take whatever your
convergence time is.

Other failover modes (RPR, RPR+) take more time, on the order of 90/30
seconds, but there's no reason to use those in your case.

You'll need to provide more details about your config, topology and
nature of the adjacent devices before someone can answer your question
properly.