[c-nsp] cisco 3110g blade switch consle to as2511-rj

Christopher.Marget at usc-bt.com Christopher.Marget at usc-bt.com
Wed Aug 3 09:21:24 EDT 2011

Erik Nelson said:
> No, the console cable on a 3110G ends in a serial DB9 female connector.

Indeed:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/blades/3110/hardware/installation/guide/HIGCABLE.html#wp1051039
" The console port uses a USB connector. The supplied USB-to-DB-9 adapter cable is used to connect the console port of the switch module to a PC."

I guess the 3110G is a special case in Cisco land?  Most Cisco USB consoles are "Type B" (peripheral) connectors, but the 3110G appears (I've never seen one) to have a "Type A" connector, making it impossible (or at least wrong) to connect it directly to a PC via USB.

What's the deal here, is there a USB<->Serial chip inside that cable, or is it just a mechanical adapter?