[c-nsp] Brocade VS Cisco

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Aug 12 06:14:17 EDT 2011

On Thursday, August 11, 2011 09:42:39 PM Bradley Williamson
wrote:

> We are looking at Brocade, Cisco, and Juniper for a
> couple of upcoming projects and I am familiar with both
> Cisco and Juniper, but not so much with Brocade. We have
> a few of their small switches in our network, but that’s
> about the extent of my experience.

When I joined my current employer back in '07, we had it all
- Foundry, Cisco, Juniper, ALU, Extreme, Xyplex, Packeteer,
Huawei, you name it.

After a while, we figured life was easier with just 2
vendors. We've been a Cisco and Juniper house ever since.
And, indeed, life has certainly been easier.

We flirted with Brocade's CES/CER2000 platform when looking
for a Metro-E box that had decent IP/MPLS support. For the
most part, these boxes are fine, especially since they can
provide 512,000 FIB entries for IPv4, not available at the
time, and you could get up to 48x port in a 1U chassis.

However, a couple of software issues, particularly with IS-
IS and IPv6, were less than welcome. But these are problems
that can be solved.

In the end, we figured that staying with just 2 vendors was
simpler, even though the Brocade could have been cheaper.

Mark.