[c-nsp] BGP question : What's the best way for filtering outgoingprefixes?

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Thu Aug 18 23:56:47 EDT 2011

Actually, you shouldn't need network statements even for your own
origination if you redistributed static and connected and have the
appropriate tie down routes.  You also tag your internal traffic (/30s etc)
again with a different community and obviously not announce that where it's
not needed.  You can create prefix-lists, something like

ip prefix-list our-cidr seq 5 a.b.c.d/19

and the matching internaly only using the x le y sets and you should be good
although as in all things, there are more than one right answer.  I'm just a
big believer in keeping the keystrokes to a minimum where possible, removes
the possibility for fat finger errors which I don't know about you but have
burned me more than once.:)

    Tropical storms in the South East, hmmm.  I need to get ready for these
myself considering I just moved from California to the south east US.  I've
got to say this doesn't surprise me.  I've seen operators, especially cable
providers use prefix lists in the most inappropriate ways.  I guess you do
what you know but wow!