[c-nsp] QinQ config sample on Cisco 7600/6500

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Wed Aug 24 12:46:36 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am quite new to Cisco and look for some configuration help.
We used Foundry last 5 years and now started to add/integrate 7600/6500
boxes to the existing network.

What I am searching for is a Cisco/IOS version of Foundry style hardcoded
QinQ transport vlan like:
vlan 123
 tagged e 1/1
 untagged e 1/2
exit
tag-type 9100 ethe 1/2

1/1 is a port with several vlans towards other equipment of me.
1/2 is a customer port with tagged + untagged vlans (I do not know/care
what ids they use)

All I can find is several howtos saying to configure something like that
here on the customer port:
switchport
switchport mode dot1q-tunnel

When trying to set the above commands I get that error:
Gi4/48 doesn't support 802.1q tunneling.
My linecard is a WS-X6548-GE-TX, does that mean I cannot use QinQ here or
is there another way ?
Same config on a WS-X6724-SFP is accepted.

What I cannot find is where to set the vlan id that I use on my router
(i.e. the outer tag like 123 in the Froundry config).
Do I need to configure it like an access port or is there a setting
somewhere else ?
Port towards my equipment will be on a WS-X6704-10GE card.

Furthermore I read about setting "vlan dot1q tag native" to support
forwarding of untagged frames.
How does this work if I do not know the vlans used by my custimer and
therefore cannot set an ID for untagged ?
Is untagged traffic dropped then or does it work anyway ?

Concerning the MTU:
Do I need to increase the ports manually or is there a setting like
"aggregated-vlan" on some Foundrys that increases all MTUs for QinQ ?
Does increasing the interface MTUs have some side-effects to take care
about if I do not touch the vlan mtu and the MTUs of the Layer3 vlan
interfaces ?

Concerning learning of MAC-adresses:
On Foundry (MLX/XMR) you can turn off learning of MAC-adresses on vlans
with only 2 ports ("transparent-hw-flooding") to save ressources.
Is there an equivalent that should be used on Cisco ?

Software used is 15.1(2)S, devices are only used for usual switching +
routing (OSPF+BGP, MTU 1500, no MPLS) at the moment.

kind regards
Rolf