[c-nsp] Cisco 650x sup2 / sup32 configuration - what makes sense?

Jeff Meyers Jeff.Meyers at gmx.net
Wed Dec 7 17:10:24 EST 2011

Hello list,

I am looking for a configuration, that makes sense. A 6509 is currently
equipped with a sup2, some 6516-GBIC modules and some 6148-GE-TX
modules. The sup2 will be replaced with a sup32-10GE soon but we're
having trouble with the interfaces modules as well.
When a customer bursts a GigE port on the 6148-GE-TX, the available
bandwidth on all other ports (at least ports 1-24 which seem to share an
asic) are affected as well although there is not more than just
2-3GBit/s of traffic on the whole module. What is the best choice here
to have reasonable amounts of bandwidth available across the whole box?

The upcoming redundant sup32 will use a few GBit/s and the rest will be
required on the GBic and TX module. Both modules shall be capable of
consuming something around 8GBit/s+ in total without causing trouble on
the direct neighbour ports when bursting.

Does it make sense to replace the 6148-GE-TX with a 6748 or is the sup2
respectively the sup32 the actual bottleneck?

Is there a way to find out the available bandwidth for each module in
the running configuration?

Thanks & best regards,
Jeff