[c-nsp] GSR 12410 vs XR 12410

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Dec 8 13:31:31 EST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 09:47:59AM -0800, Mack McBride wrote:
> The 6500 product line has roadmap out to 2020 and beyond.
> Keep in mind that the ASR platforms support much larger route tables than
> the 6500.  The 6500 is probably not going to be viable for full routing tables
> in two years giving the de-aggregation expected in the IPv4 space.

How many routing table slots will the ASRs (which ones, btw, 1k, 9k, 9xx?)
support?

Sup720-XL and Sup-2T for the 6500 give me 1 million, which we'll partition
to something like 600k IPv4 / 200k IPv6, which will be fine for us for
many years to come - but we don't take full routing tables anyway, filtering
out /24+/23 more-specifics from non-RIPE-/8s (adding a default route).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de