[c-nsp] 1G (SFP) single-mode aggregation

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Dec 16 00:04:13 EST 2011

On Friday, December 16, 2011 03:38:25 AM Peter Rathlev
wrote:

> To sum up the different suggestions:

So based on the features you mentioned, if you're planning
to provide services at the aggregation rack itself, the
SUP2T should be the best way forward (at least in theory).

Many of the features you mentioned are fundamentally broken
or unreliable on the SUP720. So your timing couldn't be
better if you want to run this on the 6500 + SUP2T.

> - Mark, who must think we're made of money, suggested the
> ASR 9922. ;-) It could takes 20 A9K-40GE-L cards for a
> total of 760 SFP ports and an uplink module.

:-) - even I don't know what the box costs; haven't had the
need to check as we're nowhere near needing that kind of
aggregation power just yet.

But that's why I suggested, in the end, that if the SUP2T
can support all the features you need, the 6500 is likely
going to be the most cost-effective solution for you, I
think. The SUP720 has had too many limitations to make the
6500 anything better than a high-end Layer 2 aggregation box
or a basic Layer 3 services box in the most extreme of use-
cases. But in theory, the SUP2T should fix the majority of
those issues. So, again, your timing for doing this couldn't
be better.

As the ASR9000 is optimized for both Ethernet aggregation
and services, it could be a pricier option than the 6500.
And even though you could get your account team to price it
for you the same as a 6500, you're down on ports which will
hurt your aggregation capabilities. If there is nothing
special the ASR9000 has that the SUP2T cannot do at the same
price or lower, then port-wise, the 6500 is a better choice.

The only one I can think of is NG-MVPN coming to the
ASR9000. But since you sound familiar and happy with Rosen,
I don't think it's a good enough reason to consider the
ASR9000.

Best of luck, Peter :-).

Cheers,

Mark.