[c-nsp] Throuput Issues with Trunk Between Switches

Erik Fritzler efritzler at darkfibersolutions.com
Tue Feb 8 09:13:34 EST 2011

    Smart Bits----->Access port--->Cisco Switch-->Trunk-->Cisco Switch-->Access Port--->Smart Bits
    If we leave the connection between the 2 switches as an access port link then we can test across at full 1.0Gbps.
    However, it the link between the switches is configured as a trunk we experience packet loss.
    The smaller the packets, the higher the throughput, the higher the errors.
    We have tried both ISL and dot1q trunks, as well as setting the nonegotiate setting on all the ports.
    Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Erik J. Fritzler
Director of NOC Services

Dark Fiber Solutions, Inc.