[c-nsp] CRS-3: FC140/S, FP140 & 14X10GBE

Emanuel Popa emanuel.popa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 05:05:54 EST 2011

hi everybody,

we will soon upgrade our 16 slot CRS-1 to CRS-3, which means going
from 40Gbps/slot to 140Gbps/slot. afterwards, we will install a couple
of 14X10GBE PLIMs with FP140 in the back. this will grant us more 10GE
ports in an almost full chassis.

anyways, this process comes with high adrenaline level and huge risk
because we have to carry out the upgrade in several steps:

1. upgrade from IOS XR 3.8.4 to IOS XR 4.0.1-px with downtime

2. upgrade fabric from FC40/S to FC140/S without downtime

3. migrate 10GE ports from 8-10GBE/MSC40 cards to 14X10GBE/FP140 cards

we are concerned about quite a few things:

a. how will the mix of MSC40 and FP140 within the same chassis work out?

b. one of the datasheets we found about the new PLIMs says:

"The XFP power dissipation is different for each vendor and range.
Cisco Transceiver
Module Group has released new "-L" class XFPs, XFP10GLR-192SR-L (10km) and
XFP10GER-192IR-L (40km), for low power and low EMI to coincide with CRS-3
PLIMs. They are 1.5W and 2.5W respectively and the only 10km and 40km XFP types
supported on CRS-3 XGE PLIMs. Standard XFPs like XFP10GLR-192SR are not
supported on the CRS-3 XGE PLIMs. There is a strict UDI compliance check when an
XFP is inserted or the LC has booted with XFPs. Non-supported XFPs
won’t be powered
on."

we only use 3rd party optics, of course. just curious if anybody has
experience with these PLIMs and the optics that work with them.

c. what about the new IOS XR 4.0.1-px? did anybody ran into any kind
of problems regarding a P router with this version?

d. anything else that might be helpful with the new hardware above?

thanks in advance and best regards,
manu