[c-nsp] VTP war stories (was Re: EoMPLS or VPLS loop prevention/storm control)

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Feb 14 15:42:56 EST 2011

On 2/10/2011 4:06 AM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Well, the point is that there are not enough saveguards in VTP v1 and v2
> to require some "more active" wrongdoing to make it explode - and if it
> explodes, it usually requires "walking to the some of the affected
> devices to get it fixed".
>
> Things like "plugging in a switch that was used for lab purposes and
> after that nicely cleaned of all the VLANs configured on it, because
> it was only for labbing" should never bring down a complete production
> network - and things like that just don't happen with the other protocols
> you mentioned.

I couldn't agree more.  Sure, if used in an exacting & perfect way, VTP
can be configured and used without incident.  Make one simple little
mistake and it will hand you your ass.  I'd rather not have a hair
trigger sitting on my network.

Configuring VLANs on a dozen switches really is a trivial thing to do if
you're organized about your VLAN numbering (basically not replicating
VLAN IDs on disparate switches) and are organized about your up/down
links.  At that point copying and pasting in the basic VLAN config is a
no brainer.

conf t
vlan 1234
  name vlan1234.Math-Dept-Pub-Lab
!
interface range gi0/1 - 2
  ! Uplinks
  switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1234
interface range gi0/3 - 4
  ! Downlinks
  switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1234
end
wr

How difficult is this really?  And the bulk of that config is if you
manually define an Allowed VLAN list on your trunks, something a lot of
lazy admins don't do anyway.  To me it doesn't matter if you have 1
switch or a dozen in a simple tree or ring topology.

So on one hand you have something that should work but fails in a
spectacular fashion to most all network engineers at some point in their
career (and could be easily broken as part of a DoS without much of any
effort), or you have the piece of mind created as part of a very simple
process that should take a decent engineer very little time.  Call me
crazy but I'm going with the KISS theory on this one!

Justin