[c-nsp] Anycast Questions

Aaron Riemer ariemer at amnet.net.au
Tue Feb 15 03:48:17 EST 2011

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had experience with or knowledge of IP Anycast?

I am a little confused as to how the advertisement of the same Anycast
address is possible at different routers in the network at possibly separate
locations. Let's say I have a web service and I would like to Anycast the
service to my national organisation with the help of my IGP. Am I right in
thinking that each site location that has an instance of the Anycast service
would need to advertise this Anycast address (typically a host route) into
the routing table, and that routers within the organisation will simply use
the mechanics of the routing protocol to direct client communication to the
Anycast service via the best path or route?

Is the idea that the host route being advertised will have a longer match
than any potential summarised network that may cover the range of Anycast IP
addresses used? Is this why it is preferred to have a dedicated network that
is not summarised at any point in the network to advertise Anycast services?

I guess when it came to Anycast services over the Internet It would be
fairly simple process to advertise your own Anycast addresses at any of your
border routers around the world and AS-PATH would take care of the rest?

Can someone clarify these points or am I completely off track?

Thanks,

-Aaron