[c-nsp] ASA 5505 doesn't like itself

Michael Loether mike at azloether.com
Thu Feb 17 16:53:04 EST 2011

I have a ASA 5505 I am setting up at a small branch office.  Working towards a site to site VPN but first I need to get it to talk to itself.  Traffic is not passing from inside to outside.

interface Vlan1
 nameif inside
 security-level 100
 ip address 172.19.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan2
 nameif outside
 security-level 0
 ip address 64.183.175.22 255.255.255.252
!
interface Ethernet0/0
 switchport access vlan 2
!
interface Ethernet0/1
!
nat (inside,outside) after-auto source dynamic any interface

DHCPd is running on VL 1 and it is handing out IPs as expected.

ping inside 64.183.175.21
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 64.183.175.21, timeout is 2 seconds:
?????
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

ACLs are any any ip on both inside and outside.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Mike