[c-nsp] Why does PIM enable IGMP?

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 10:36:22 EST 2011

I know what they are for individually, but I was wondering why IGMP is
automatically enabled when PIM is enabled. My thought was that there
was no need for it on router-to-router links. I believe someone on
another forum gave the correct answer. Without IGMP, mtrace and mstat
would not work since those tools use IGMP packets.