[c-nsp] IOS - ipv6 uppercase in config - why ?

Brandon Applegate brandon at burn.net
Wed Jan 5 11:01:55 EST 2011

Is there a reason that ipv6 addresses are stored with uppercase letters in
config ?

We can type them in either case and it's understood.  Why convert to upper
when writing config ?

At issue is when I do 'show run | inc 2607:ff70' and get nothing I scratch
my head for a second.  Then I try 'show run | inc 2607:FF70' and get what
I expected.  This seems inefficent, error-prone, and likely to drive Randy
Bush crazy :) <ducks>

Not a huge deal I guess, but I just can't understand why I have to
remember to explicitly capitialize all [a-f] when the default would have
been lower-case (less fingers).

--
Brandon Applegate - CCIE 10273
PGP Key fingerprint: