[c-nsp] SVI MTU on 6509

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 13 08:05:13 EST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 06:08:20PM -0600, Justin Krejci wrote:
> What is the difference between the following as I note they have
> different minimums by 4 bytes? It looks if i set the "svi interface mtu"
> the IP MTU is increased as well which I am guessing cannot (or should
> not) be lower than the "svi interface" mtu. Is there any reason in
> changing ip mtu separately from the svi interface mtu especially given
> that only ipv4 is currently in use?

If you only have IPv4 in use right now, interface MTU and IPv4 MTU will
effectively do the same (IPv4 MTU defaults to interface MTU if not
set).

It will make a difference if you want to run a bigger MPLS MTU than IPv4
MTU, for example - so you'd set the interface MTU to the maximum needed,
and then IPv4 MTU to a lower value (making sure it matches for all
devices on the same network, etc.)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de