[c-nsp] Advice on Core Swithes / Routers

Benjamin Lovell belovell at cisco.com
Thu Jan 13 09:59:28 EST 2011

It really sounds like you are overloading the WAN router and core switch roles onto one device. I would suggest separating them out. For a core switch a 6500 with an ACE module should fit the bill. For a WAN router it would depend on the amount of traffic you want to pass. Could be anywhere from a 2900 up to an ASR1K.

The cost perspective of a 2nd device should not be bad if you consider that you will need SIP/SPA for E1s and another for the crypto module on the 6500

-Ben