[c-nsp] Switch Port Question

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jan 25 08:15:09 EST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:13:13AM +0800, Aaron Riemer wrote:
> If the interface is considered to be operationally down why does it still
> transmit light out its TX path?? This is what is confusing me.

How would you ever bring an interface *up* if neither end transmits light
until it sees anything?

(Answer: in SDH networks, this is done by "occasional blips" - but in
Ethernet networks, the sender just sends - and to notice unidirectional
fiber links, you have autonegotiation or UDLD)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de