[c-nsp] Nexus 7000 - vPC during NX-OS upgrade (ISSU)

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Thu Jan 27 17:21:03 EST 2011

On 27/01/2011, at 10:19 PM, Manu Chao wrote:

> I need to upgrade (ISSU) multiples N7K Dual Supervisor running vPC domains
> from NX-OS 4.2(6) to 5.1(1a).

ISSU from 4.2(6) to 5.1(1a) is non-disruptive.  you should be able to upgrade with no disruption to service.

having said that, always carefully read the release notes posted on cisco.com for a given release.
it may be that an upgrade between two releases requires you to do something.
e.g. see <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/release/notes/51_nx-os_release_note.html#wp293013>

you can certainly run vPC with one vPC peer switch being a different NX-OS release to the other vPC peer switch.

On 27/01/2011, at 11:52 PM, Chris Evans wrote:
> Cisco has advised us to not use issu when possible.. we have had a few weird
> bugs from it after the fact..  we are running 4.2(4)..

please send me details (off list) of who at "Cisco" that advised you of this.  its not accurate.

On 28/01/2011, at 12:09 AM, Ryan West wrote:
> I'm sure the release notes say it, but the 4.x to 5.x major requires a full reload.  I spent a lot of time tracking down a BPDU rate limiting issue only to find the customer had ISSU'd from 4 to 5 and did not reload.

an upgrade from 4.2.x to 5.x does not require a reload.  my guess is that the release-notes were not followed as it does talk about some very specific things in upgrade/downgrade considerations.

cheers,

lincoln.