[c-nsp] cisco optics for longhaul fiber

Vinny Abello vinny at abellohome.net
Sat Jul 2 14:20:17 EDT 2011

I've done something extremely similar with the Transition Networks
TN-GLC-ZX-SM-15 which is rated for ~150km and had excellent success.
This was going over about a 115km span, but due to expected loss at each
junction and the optical properties of the fiber given to me, the
ZX-SM-15 was much safer. My 6506-E's don't complain at all about them
and I get full DOM capability. Of course if you open a ticket with Cisco
and they notice a non-Cisco SFP in your equipment, they'll likely not
support you until you remove or replace it. When speaking to Cisco about
what their solution was, they quoted me multiple tens of thousands of
dollars for some ONS DWDM EDFA amplifier and dispersion compensation
solution... vs Transition Networks couple of grand per SFP which is all
I needed for my application. Once we need to expand, we'll look into the
DWDM solutions down the road, but for now this just works.

ITU Channel not available (Wavelength not available),
Transceiver is internally calibrated.
mA: milliamperes, dBm: decibels (milliwatts), NA or N/A: not applicable.
++ : high alarm, +  : high warning, -  : low warning, -- : low alarm.
A2D readouts (if they differ), are reported in parentheses.
The threshold values are calibrated.

                            High Alarm  High Warn  Low Warn   Low Alarm
           Temperature         Threshold   Threshold  Threshold  Threshold
Port       (Celsius)          (Celsius)   (Celsius)  (Celsius)  (Celsius)
---------- ------------------  ----------  ---------  ---------  ---------
Gi1/1        26.2                85.0        80.0        -5.0      -10.0

                            High Alarm  High Warn  Low Warn   Low Alarm
            Voltage            Threshold   Threshold  Threshold  Threshold
Port        (Volts)            (Volts)     (Volts)    (Volts)    (Volts)
----------  ---------------    ----------  ---------  ---------  ---------
Gi1/1       3.28                  3.47        3.40        3.20       3.12

                            High Alarm  High Warn  Low Warn   Low Alarm
            Current            Threshold   Threshold  Threshold  Threshold
Port        (milliamperes)     (mA)        (mA)       (mA)       (mA)
----------  -----------------  ----------  ---------  ---------  ---------
Gi1/1        22.1                95.0        90.0         4.0        2.0

            Optical            High Alarm  High Warn  Low Warn   Low Alarm
            Transmit Power     Threshold   Threshold  Threshold  Threshold
Port        (dBm)              (dBm)       (dBm)      (dBm)      (dBm)
Gi1/1         2.4                 6.0         5.0         0.0       -1.0

            Optical            High Alarm  High Warn  Low Warn   Low Alarm
            Receive Power      Threshold   Threshold  Threshold  Threshold
Port        (dBm)              (dBm)       (dBm)      (dBm)      (dBm)
Gi1/1       -28.8                -8.0        -9.0       -37.0      -35.2

-Vinny