[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jul 11 19:25:33 EDT 2011

On (2011-07-12 00:00 +0200), Robert Hass wrote:

> As 6708 is DFC-only (same as 6716) and cannot work in CFC due to lack
> of some bus ASICs. You cannot it use with 2T due to incompability DFC4
> to DFC3. DFC4 is not supported at all at 67xx linecards. But there is
> special TMP program for 6708 linecards for upgrade them to 6908. Talk
> to your account team for details.

Older cards, such as 6704 had superman+tycho in DFC and separate bus asic only
chip in CFC. In 6708 and older bus asic functionality was removed from superman
to separate kuma chip (and superman and tycho were integrated to single
supertycho chip).
This design allowed you to have kuma fixed in linecard and optional DFC, 'CFC'
operation could be done by simply pulling DFC out, no magic CFC card needed.

I don't see any reason why technically you couldn't just rip out DFC from 6708
and run it as centralized card. Maybe the DFC itself is soldered in making this
unpractical or maybe centralized performance was deemed by BU unmarketable.

--
  ++ytti