[c-nsp] iSCSI, port buffers, and small switches

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Tue Jul 26 14:47:49 EDT 2011

Hello Chuck,
The customers I have come across with buffering problems on 3750 were
either not effectively configuring QoS - sometimes the best config is no
QoS actually.  The buffers get divided up when you enable "mls qos" and
if you don't use all the queues as they are set up, they will not be
optimal, especially for the default class.

The big scenarios you need buffering are speed difference (regardless of
average rate!) or many-to-one host at the same time, otherwise you don't
need significant buffers at all.

Since you have the same speed interfaces, how many transactions do you
think will be happening at once?  That's where I would focus.

Regards,
John Gill
cisco