[c-nsp] VSS w/non sup VSL

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Sat Jun 18 17:32:44 EDT 2011

On Saturday, June 18, 2011, Graham Wooden <graham at g-rock.net> wrote:

> I wouldn't assume that if a SUP-based VSL link fails that it's the SUPs
> fault.  It depends on your environment; our campus (a dirty manufacturing
> complex), we are constantly fighting SM fiber strand issues all the time.

I think the issue being described was whether it makes sense to use an
additional module to provide the second vsl connection.

We orginally made the mistake as per cisco rcommendation of having on
in the sup and the other on a 6708 - software sxi4.
As previously stated, we used the second interface on the sup720 as
one of the uplinks (etherchannel) to the core switches and ended up
with about 1% packet loss for connections to a netapp - effectively
causing nasty slow downs for smb.

Uplink moved off the sup and onto the line card - problem solved. This
was due to the fact that both sup ports inheriited the same buffer
settings and were not seperable at the time. I dont know if this is
still the case.

Andrew