[c-nsp] Average throughput of a Cisco 7200 VXR G1 gig interface?

Sigurbjörn Birkir Lárusson sigurbjornl at vodafone.is
Wed Jun 22 19:47:42 EDT 2011

Depends on what you're doing feature wise and whether you can withstand
some (minor) packet loss.

We have 7200s doing PPPoE termination that get close to 500 out/250 in
(about 55k/45k packets) on one interface (PPPoE) while at the same time
pushing the same traffic 250 out/500 in (uplink).  At that point the CPU
is at roughly 80-90%.  At that point you have input (overrun) errors
however and some minor packet loss, you don't notice it so much with
Internet traffic, but if you're doing Multicast/VoIP traffic or such you
will notice it...

For sensitive (VoIP/Video) with at least some basic QoS traffic a
200/200Mbit mix is more realistic.

If you're doing NAT, access-lists, uRPF, MPLS that number will be lower
and depending on what mix you have of those even substantially lower.

I had a funny issue after upgrading to SRE the other day which turned out
to be a simple scheduler misconfiguration..., a fellow engineer had
accidentally reversed the allocation values on some of the boxes, alloting
a lot more time for processor tasks than actual packet processing (in fact
it was set as 800/3200).  This turned out to be a much bigger problem
under SRE than it was under SB...

I've found 20000/1000 scheduler allocate values can work for a box that is
spending 95% of its time pushing packets and very little time doing
protocol (OSPF/BGP/LDP) work and that you don't have to work on a lot (if
the router is busy with those values the telnet/console session is quite
sluggish).  3000/1000 is a more realistic value for a box that is doing a
mix/match of protocol and packet pushing work and makes the box very
workable, even under heavy packet load.  If the packet processing value is
too low it will cause (as I saw the other day) input ignored errors/no
resource errors on both the NPE-G1 and NPE-G2 even under very low load.

Kind regards,
Sibbi