[c-nsp] How to effect a totally stubby area in IS-IS

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sun Jun 26 03:21:03 EDT 2011

> Oh crap I ran into the same issue when I tried to reproduce the old
lab
> I have used the 122-33.SRE on 7200s and got the same error:
>
> %CLNS: Duplicate system ID configured in ip vrf <default> with router
isis 1

> It's working though on the ancient 124-24 (old lab from which I took
the
> config)
>
> If the same sys-id can't be configured on different isis instances
than to
> me it appears the multi-area feature is not supported
>
> This would be a question for the Cisco folks whether the feature has
been
> depreciated form the new ios-es

ISIS multi-area has never been supported for IP/integrated-ISIS, only
for CLNS-only. So multi-area ISIS is certainly not a solution for
Jared's problem, and I don't think there is one, short of using a)
hierarchy/L1L2, b) not advertising links/advertise-passive-only, c)
filtering inbound using kludgy "distance 255 ..." or d) accepting the
fact that pop routers see each other.. not sure how big this thing to
scale and what the limits really are in Jared's scenario.

	oli