[c-nsp] HSRP/VRRP scalabilty

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 2 04:23:18 EST 2011

On 03/02/2011 09:08 AM, jack daniels wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> If we want to configure gateway for 1000 Vlans on Cisco 7600 (HSRP
> will be a issue as it supports only 256 HSRP groups) . Any soltion for
> the same -

Simply use the same group on each SVI - that is:

interface Vlan10
   standby 0 ...
interface Vlan11
   standby 0

You can definitely have >256 SVIs with HSRP enabled in this way; we have
routers with nearly 300.

> I have though of two solutions but don't know whether they will scale
> or workout , please help me in suggesting -
>
> Solution 1 -  ( I heard there is something called " Follow up") can
> you guide me any solution document for this.

HSRP follow group is nearly useless on 7600/6500. It only works on
sub-ints, and these platforms are mostly SVI-based

> Solution 2    Another solution for the same I think is if - There are
> incoming 4 vlans (Vlan1 , Vlan 2 , Vlan 3, Vlan 4 -IP address subnet
> same on all four vlans ) and if I Translate on Layer 2 medium these
> four  vlans to Vlan 5 and configure IP address ( Gateway IP address on
> which HSRP will run ) on this VLAN 5 .Is this thing possible on Layer
> 2 medium - if I use VLAN translation or use fundamentals of imposing S
> tag. Please suggest how this will work.

I have no idea what you're asking here, but I would avoid it!