[c-nsp] What is the lowest latency switch?

Soon Lee leekorean at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:12:25 EDT 2011

Hi

Lowest latency switch hahaha.

according to this document(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/switches/ps5718/ps6021/stac_report_cisco_catalyst_4900m_10gige_switch.pdf)

Latency of C4900M is 19 microseconds.

I'm looking for any other vender switch which is low latency switch.

If you guys inform me then I will test it with Smartbit or something like that.

And cisco says,

Examples of Cisco Low-Latency Layer 2 Switches
The Cisco Nexus 5000 Series access-layer switch is an example of a low-latency cut-through single-stage fabric implementation that will meet the requirements of all except ultra-low latency applications. The Cisco Nexus 5000 Series uses VOQs to minimize port contention.
Another platform that meets most low-latency application requirements is the Cisco Catalyst® 4900M Switch, a store-and-forward switch that fits in the data center access and distribution layers. The Cisco Catalyst 4900M uses a shared-memory architecture with an ultra-low-latency ASIC design.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/white_paper_c11-465436.html

does it mean C4900M is lower latency switch than Nexus 5000 ?

Thanks

Soon Lee
CCIE# 17724