[c-nsp] Large scale "central services" VRF, best practice?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Mar 18 09:04:45 EDT 2011

Is there any "smart" way configure an MPLS VPN network for a "central
services" VRF for all (or many) other VRFs?

I see three possible ways:

 1)  Use import & export on the central services VRF, no configuration
     on the other VRFs:

     ip vrf A
      rd 1:1
      route-target both 1:1
     !
     ip vrf B
      rd 1:2
      route-target both 1:2
     !
     ip vrf Central_Services
      rd 1:3
      route-target both 1:1
      route-target both 1:2
      route-target both 1:3
     !

 2)  Use import & export on each VRF that needs to access the central
     services VRF.

     ip vrf A
      rd 1:1
      route-target both 1:1
      route-target both 1:3
     !
     ip vrf B
      rd 1:2
      route-target both 1:2
      route-target both 1:3
     !
     ip vrf Central_Services
      rd 1:3
      route-target both 1:1
     !

 3)  Use an empty (permit anything) import map on the central services
     VRF and an export map on the other VRFs:

     route-map CS_EXPORT_MAP permit 10
      set extcommunity rt 1:3 additive
     !
     route-map CS_IMPORT_MAP permit 10
     !
     ip vrf A
      rd 1:1
      route-target both 1:1
      export map CS_EXPORT_MAP
     !
     ip vrf B
      rd 1:2
      route-target both 1:2
      export map CS_EXPORT_MAP
     !
     ip vrf Central_Services
      rd 1:3
      route-target both 1:3
      import map CS_IMPORT_MAP
     !

In my eyes all approaches seem like a lot of work, but I'm leaning
towards solution 2 because it seems easier to not make mistakes.

An SP from which we buy last-mile in a couple of VRFs have their
management prefixes leaked out into every VRF and we're looking for
something similar.

Does anybody know of a smart(er) way of doing this? Are anybody on this
list using it large scale and are willing to share some experience?

--
Peter