[c-nsp] Catalyst TCAM Question

Bill Blackford bblackford at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:20:43 EDT 2011

Platform: 7600/SUP720-B

If a box that can only handle sub 200k IPV4 routes in TCAM receives
two full feeds and as shown below is only 'using' 196305 of them, is
the delta of that 350k dropped or is it then processed in software?
Looking a 'sh route sum' it looks like a full table in the FIB. 'sh fm
sum' shows nothing INACTIVE.

<snip>
L3 Forwarding Resources
             FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                  72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)     196608      196305        100%
                 144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)       32768           5          1%

                     detail:      Protocol                    Used       %Used
                                  IPv4                      196305        100%
                                  MPLS                           0          0%
                                  EoM                            0          0%

                                  IPv6                           2          1%
                                  IPv4 mcast                     3          1%
                                  IPv6 mcast                     0          0%

            Adjacency usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                                               1048576         199          1%
</snip>

I see this in the logs which was my first clue for asking this question:

<snip>
%MLSCEF-SP-7-FIB_EXCEPTION: FIB TCAM exception, Some entries will be
software switched
</snip>

thank you in advance for any input.

-b

--
Bill Blackford
Network Engineer

Logged into reality and abusing my sudo privileges.....