[c-nsp] Open Source netflow recommendations

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed May 18 10:20:14 EDT 2011

On 18/05/2011 14:13, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> Another increasingly important question is if you want or need Netflow
> v9/v10 (IPFIX) support, to get Netflow data for IPv6 traffic.

Or more likely, ipfix attributes using netflowv9 encoding format - this is
the latest vendor trick.   "Standards?  let's make some more and then
ignore them", sigh.

> activated, or additional hardware needs to be purchased (Juniper's
> Multiservices PICs/MPCs for the M/MX platforms comes to mind).

If you're using MPC cards on Juniper MX platform, yes you need an MS-DPC
for ipv6 netflow.  However, this is done natively on the newer trio cards.
  If you want Netflow on J series boxes, you can kiss performance goodbye.

Juniper are still pushing the "here's the hardware, but if you actually
want to use it, we're going to gouge you for more" model for netflow.
Thankfully, Cisco aren't doing this on any of their platforms.

Nick