[c-nsp] PWE3 suggestions?

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu May 19 15:03:37 EDT 2011

On 05/19/2011 11:06 AM, Steve Teti wrote:
> On 5/19/2011 1:22 PM, Mike wrote:
>> The specfic configuration, I think, is one where
>> the end user has said 1720 and t1 wic, which connects via t1 to my
>> aggrgation point (an adtran ta5000, in a telco co somewhere), which then
>> tunnels across my network to a router doing pwe, simply to provide ip
>> routing to that end user. I don't need physical t1 ports except at the
>> telco office, but it's been suggested in the docs I saw that even with
>> pwe3 I still would have to have some kind of 't1' interface hardware
>> somewhere in the cisco box in order to make it fly.
>
> I may have missed something in your requirements, but why do you need
> pseudowire at all?  Couldn't you simply terminate each customer T1 as
> a separate routed PPP interface on the TA5000, then backhaul the
> TA5000 into the rest of your network as "just another aggregation
> router"?

The TA5000 doesn't work that way, it has no routing or ppp functionality
at all. The two primary modes are either cross connect two t1's that are
terminated both on the same chassis (creating a point to point link), or
shunt a t1 via pseudowire over to some other device in the network for
processing, presumably another ta5000 or other device in a remote
office. Its totally protocol agnostic in this regard.

Mike-