[c-nsp] need good recommendation for isp gateway nat bgp pbr

Brian Roche brian at bcctv.net
Thu May 26 09:47:06 EDT 2011

We are a small ISP and have about a thousand cable modem customers and
a hundred or so metro fiber customers routing through a ubr7246vxr
npe-g1 256 mb ram.  For geographic reasons we have to backhaul our
Internet traffic in/out the same trunk port on the ubr.  We do about
20k max NAT translations for the cable modems (conserving our ipv4
space), use policy based routing to send traffic out two different
ISPs, and run bgp with default only routes.  Recently we've
experienced overruns on the trunk port which might be happening b/c we
are occasionally overloading the RXring.   We have 150 mb bandwidth
now and are doubling that in the next month or so... SO, I need a
recommendation a good edge router that I can offload my NAT, BGP, and
PBR that will accomodate my network at least until I get to a 1 GB
Internet connection.  I've looked at the 7301 but it doesn't look like
it was widely adopted, the 7201, 7204 VXR, and am tempted by the
ASR1001 base with 4 gigE ports.  Getting a quote on the ASR1001 b/c it
appears that Cisco is pricing them very competitively.  Ideally the
router will have 3-4 GiE ports and small sized since we will be
placing the router in a hosted space.  We are okay with used but might
be able to justify new if we can get a couple years out of it.  Thanks
for any input.