[c-nsp] Best solution for WAN backup

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu May 26 15:15:04 EDT 2011

On Friday, May 27, 2011 02:50:15 AM David Rothera wrote:

> ASA's have better throughput when encrypting traffic than
> routers as routers have to do all the work on CPU where
> as the ASA's will have dedicated crypto hardware.

Depends on the platform. The ASR1000 does IPSec and other
security stuff in hardware with no CPU impact. I suppose
that's what the OP meant.

I'd choose an ASR1000 for security over an ASA because it
has better routing than the ASA, except, of course, there
are specific security features that only the ASA can
support.

But otherwise, if the playing fields are level, I'd go with
the router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/solution_overview_c22-450825_ns483_Networking_Solution_Solution_Overview.html

Cheers,

Mark.