[c-nsp] downlink bgp interconnect best practices

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue May 31 08:15:03 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 03:11:14PM +0400, Nikolay Shopik wrote:
> On 31/05/11 14:50, Gert Doering wrote:
> >We try to separate "core + uplink" and "customer connection" routers,
> >so we can do works on core routers witout affecting customers - and
> >vice versa, if we have to reboot a "customer connection" router, we
> >know which customers are affected and that nothing else is.
>
> Well in our case all customers fiber/copper terminated in same rack
> where is borders resides. So I just see no point to having additional
> router for customer except for additional redundancy of course. But this
> require router able to handle traffic and having bgp full-view for
> customer. If this router is NOT going to have hold bgp for customer its
> okey probably terminate both bgp sessions at border and connect them via
> L2 vlan/switch as we having now.

Well, it really depends on a number of factors - like "do you need to
run different software on core/edge?" or "do you have junior network
admins that you want to start learning their way on the edge routers,
where they cannot break that much" etc.

We found it useful to have this separation - but if you don't want that,
there is nothing particularily wrong with "just have two boxes and
terminate upstream and downstream links on both of them" - for
redundancy, give the customers two links to both boxes, and all is
set...

> Our looks like this, where CS1 and CS2 are core switches, 3524XL for
> now, but will be replaced with 3560X. So bgp session goes directly to
> CR2 for now.
>
>  uplink  uplink/uplink/IX/IX
>       |        |
>       CR1 -- CR2
>        | \  / |
>        |  \/  |
>        |  /\  |
>        | /  \ |
>       CS1    CS2
>        |      |
>        customers

For a smaller setup, this should work as well, yes.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de