[c-nsp] Monitoring IPv6 BGP Peering Status via SNMP

Voigt, Thomas Thomas.Voigt at netkom.de
Fri Nov 11 07:25:35 EST 2011

Hi all,

Joe Marr wrote:

> Does anyone have experience in monitoring IPv6 BGP peering
> via SNMP. I'm

I don't know if this works with Cisco gear, but I think it's a standard MIB...

Do a snmpwalk on BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerState. You will see an Entry for each BGP Peer (IPv4+IPv6) you have.
But...
The OID for the IPv6-Peers is notated as if it would be IPv4. =;-)
So use the first (most left) 4 octets from  the IPv6 address of the peer and note it decimal with points in between.
This will give you the complete OID to ask for.

Example:

If the Peer is fe80:dad3:abcd::1

0xfe = 254
0x80 = 128