[c-nsp] Cisco and third party transceivers

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Nov 12 23:40:02 EST 2011

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 08:35:56 PM Jared Mauch
wrote:

> Are you sure they were SFP vs GLC? Some platforms support
> these differently or not at all. Cisco can't keep this
> straight themselves. They regularly won't support their
> own optics in their own product unless you got the right
> one.

Like for us, the ME3600X can swallow both GLC- and SFP-
optics, since it's both a switch and router (although more a
router).

Interestingly, a 7201 we have was able to accept GLC-
optics, even though it's always supposed to eat SFP-.

We stopped keeping up, unless you're talking about pure
classic switches such as the 2960, e.t.c.

If memory serves, the RP's on our CRS routers shipped with
GLC- optics for the control ports.

In this case, I have to praise Juniper's consistency.

Mark.