[c-nsp] iBGP over IGP with ECMP

Andrew Clark lt.aclark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 12:16:27 EST 2011

Hi all,

I've got five "routers" (a mix of 3750s and 3750X).  Some of the routers
have peerings to other routers with external connectivity (Internet and
private WAN connectivity), some do not.  Each is connected to the other in
a dual-star topology and I'm thinking of using ECMP to balance the load
across both of the links.  I'm looking at using iBGP, peered to loopbacks,
with EIGRP as my "bootstrap" IGP.  I'm assuming BGP will just follow the
IGP paths, which will be ECMP and the load-balancing will be transparent to
iBGP.    Is this a recipe for disaster?  The total size of the routing
table isn't too big, around 3K routes.

It seems to work OK in GNS3...

My alternative would be to just use EIGRP only, but I'd like to avoid the
complexity of route redistribution between BGP and EIGRP that would
involve.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom,

Andrew Clark